I discovered a meat alternative for this recipe using vital wheat protein which I used to add the “ground meat” to the recipe.
This yummy original recipe is from Cilantro & Citronella.
- 25 vegan wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (can be a mix of shiitake and white button)
- 3/4 cup “ground meat” *see note*
- 1 cup shredded cabbage and carrots (I used bagged coleslaw mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water for steaming
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Green onion, chopped (optional)
I used this brand of “ground meat” and it worked very well with the Thai Ginger flavour!
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and white parts of the green onions and fry until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant – about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown. Add the carrot, cabbage, green parts of the green onion, salt and pepper and fry, stirring, until the cabbage is soft but not limp – about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir thorough the sesame oil. Allow to cool on the counter or in the fridge.
2. Once cool, assemble your potstickers. Place a small teaspoon of the filling in the centre of a wonton wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the wrapper over the filling and pinch the edges together to seal. Place them upright on a platter.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the potstickers and fry until browned on the bottom – 1 to 2 minutes. You may need to work in two batches if not all your potstickers fit in the pan. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Allow to steam until the tops are tender and the water has evaporated – about 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover the pan and flip the potstickers onto their sides to brown on each side (optional). Remove to a serving dish.
4. In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar and chopped green onion to make a dipping sauce and serve alongside the potstickers.
Natural Groove Gal