Known for they’re light refreshing flavour (and versitility in salads), cucumbers also have a ton of nuritional benefits.
– high fibre content aids with digestion high fibre
– high water contect is great for hydration and digestion
– contains Lignans, a polyphenol that helps to prevent certain types of cancer such as ovarian, prostate, breast cancer
– contains Silica, a trace mineral that helps in rebuilding connective tissues, promoting healthy silky hair and skin and relief in joint pain
– contains potassium and magnesium help balance blood pressure
– Vitamin B1, B5 and B7 can have a calming effect on the mind, reducing stress and decreasing anxiety
If you have organic or homegrown cucumbers the skin can have benefits for the skin regarding puffiness or burns, simply rub the flesh side of the cucumber skin on the affected area to reduce irratation and inflammation as you would with aloe. And if eaten is packed with vitamin C.
Cucumber juice helps with an increase of a certain hormone that is used in the production of insulin by the pancreas. And when mixed with carrot juice it will decrease uric acid therefore relieving gout.
Refreshing Lemon Cucumber Drink
10 Fresh Mint Leaves
4 oz. Cucumber Juice
Lemon Juice (from 1/2 lemon)
1 oz. Simple Syrup (I made a thyme infused batch)
Few dashes of Bitters
Splash of Soda (optional)
1. Muddle mint leaves at bottom of shaker
2. Add all other ingredients (except soda) and shake until just combined
3. Strain into your glass over ice (can top with soda – to your taste)
4. Garnish with slice of cucumber, mint leaf, and lemon zest
For a pre dinner drink, or a sunny afternoon on the patio, add some Gin 🙂
Natural Groove Gal